Crepes and wine and cheese and fondue....

     I know you've been waiting for this one since I came here and starting writing about France. When's she going to talk about the food? And the wine? Isn't she drinking a lot of wine and getting fat on all the cheese and croissants? I've been busy doing detailed research on this subject, and that's a lot of meals that can't be rushed. I should say that my data is a bit skewed since most of my meals are taken at the institute where the food is precooked, and generally pretty mediocore. Anyway, I'll start at the beginning...breakfast.
    Breakfast here is not much to talk about. It's basically bread with jam or maybe nutella. Sometimes they toast it, or if it's baugette bread, not. For special occasions, some croissants or brioche are popular options. Cereal is also another alternative. That's what I eat pretty much every morning. So it's pretty plain food wise. They do like having a huge cup of weak coffee. Like a bowl size cup. And maybe some juice. 
     Lunch is pretty much the big affair. It's a bit later, 1 or 1:30 usually and is considered more the main meal of the day. Usually meat and a vegetable side dish. 
     Dinner is later as well, at the institute it's at 7pm, and elsewhere it's more around 8pm. Eating out for dinner I've had crepes and fondue and pizza, but normally, it's a little lighter although similar to lunch food. 
    Bread-it's always served with meals. At the institute, it's baguettes cut into pieces. It's used to wipe your plate clean, a common practice. And yes, they eat with both knife and fork the whole time. I've picked it up pretty well and like it a lot better. 


here is the typical cheese and baguette combo

      Cheese. Oh cheese. Well, if you like it, it's plentiful here. It's served after the meal and there's usually at least 3 or 4 different kinds to have. In the home it's the same, only it's brought out before with the main part of the meal and of a high quality. It's common when you go somewhere, like Switzerland, the bring back cheese for friends and family. I like it for the most part. I've found I don't like all of it, but some is very good. 
    Another common thing is to have fruit after the meal, both lunch and dinner. Apples, oranges, mandarin oranges and grapes are the most common. 
    Ok the wine. I'm sorry to tell you, it's not as common as you'd think. It's mostly at dinner parties and special events. (when someone is visiting, or a birthday, etc.) We do have it when we eat out every once in a while, but it can get expensive. Same with every day use, we don't have it every night since that would be a lot of wine. I haven't seen a beer here, except maybe two that Paul has had.
    Tea time. Ok, it's really coffee time on this side of the channel, but it's the same idea and mostly the same. Although the coffee is different. It's not brewed coffee, but little espresso cups that they drink black. And tea is pretty common as well. And it's with a little cake or treat or something around 4 in the afternoon. 

ok, this is a random tex-mex restaurant we went to that wasn't that great. the french don't know how to do mexican food...

I'm not sure what to day about the pizza here. It's really good, but it's really different. It's very thin and not very much sauce. The toppings are a range with cheese, egg, ham, onion, mushroom, goat's cheese being common. You don't see peppers or a lot of meat. I usually keep it pretty simple.

these are little smiley potatoes we fried. yummy!

  

This is the typical french cafe scene. I've got a double coffee here so I can add my cream and sugar. And of course, my pan au chocolate. Paul has his little espresso with a croissant. 

fondue! which this one is a mix of 3 different cheeses I think

displaying the proper method

Comments