Ahh Family...

    After nearly 7 months of only seeing my family on skype and keeping up through email and facebook, I had a visit. My mom and aunt descended on Paris last Friday and invaded my french world like only family can. They look like me, talk like me, (this means it can get loud and fast), and embraced being in France pretty much like I have, (but without the whole french boyfriend part). : ) We ate a lot, walked a lot, and took a lot of pictures.
    Unfortunately, spring break in the U.S. does not come at the same time in France. So I was stuck working the in the mornings still, but luckily, was able to get out of all my afternoon commitments. They went traipsing around Paris in the morning, then I would  meet up for lunch and spend the whole afternoon seeing the sights with them. Two days after they got here, spring came full force and showered us with sunshine and fairly warm weather for most of the week, which made going to museums seem pretty wasteful. 
    Their number one request, besides lots of cheese and croissants, was that they didn't want to feel like tourists. (except the one major thing they wanted to do was the biggest touristy thing there is- go up the Eiffel Tower). Besides that though, I'm pretty sure we got a good mix of non-touristy things in there along with hitting all the cheap shops to get scarves. (I think my mom went home with at least 6 new scarves). For one, they stayed out of the city in a little village with a real french family. (ok, they're half english, but still). We also spent the first weekend out of Paris exploring the countryside both where I live on the west side of Paris, and in the south-east side near where they were staying. I think we could definitely claim we were the only non-french in some of those towns. 


with my mom at the Louvre

Joan enjoying cider at our crepe lunch
some typical expressions from the two of them
Margaret joined us for an afternoon too!
Sisters in front of Notre Dame

    Even though it flew by in a blur of train rides and parisian sidewalk, the week was a blast.  Happy to see them come, and sad to see them go, it was definitely worth the wait and just what will cure a little homesickness. It helps they brought mini marshmellows, chocolate chips, peanut butter m&m's, my favorite cereal, girl scout cookies.....
    Big props go out to Paul and his family, for hosting, and for dragging Paul around with three women all day. : )

Comments

  1. Yes, it was the best being hosted by a French/English family in the country--it beat staying in a hotel 100%!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment