The Things I Miss

While this in no way means that I am sick of France, there are things that after 8 months living abroad, you start to miss. I think my impending return to the states has made me think about home a lot. And luckily, it's in a "oh, I'll get to do this in just a few weeks", instead of a sad homesick, "when's the next time I'll get to do this"? There are a lot of little things, (and I say "things" because, yes of course I miss my friends and family) but I've narrowed it down to my personal top 5. 


5. Mochas. Ok, I lived in Seattle for 8 years where coffee shops are as common as dogs, and I worked at a Starbucks for 3 years, so I was a bit spoiled. But seriously, the coffee here, both in quality and quantity, is just not the same. I've gotten used to plain coffee or an espresso with sugar. We've also made mochas at home, and gone out to Starbucks and splurged on a "real" mocha, but I miss having one all the time, and cheaply. 


photo by: Paul Bourdois




4. Shopping. Yes, it's really fun and always exciting to find something totally chic and know no one in the states will have it. But there comes a point when you want to just pop out to Target and get everything you need in one stop, for cheap! It's been a slow discovery to find places here in my price range. Oh the convenience of having all the stores you need within a few miles of your house. And to know where to go to get the best deals.


3. The Library. I grew up in the library. My mom is a librarian. Reading has always been a part of me. It's been so weird not to make the weekly trip down to the library for new books to read. Even new movies to check out. There are libraries here, but french ones. And lots of books in english, but ones you have to buy. I think part of it is the comfort the library brings. It'll always be there, even if you forget to bring something back. Fear not though, I have read 18 books in the 19 weeks since new year's. 


photo by: Paul Bourdois




2. Friendliness. Now, I'm not talking about the aquaintances and friends that I've met while here. It's more the daily interactions with strangers and people in the service industry. While I have encountered a lot of very nice parisians, on the whole, the culture is just not as friendly. Especially when compared to the west coast of the states, where I grew up. The barista that chats with you while they make your coffee, the guy behind you in line that muses with you over what's taking so long, the girl in the store that will comment on your cute shoes. Basically, it's the "hi, how can I help you" when you enter anything in the states that's missing here.


1. Driving. Even though my boyfriend's family are huge car enthusiasts, and own 6 cars, I haven't gotten behind the wheel since September. It's a really weird feeling. While I love the ease of the Paris metro system and the regional trains, I miss being in my car. I wonder what it will feel like to shift and accelerate and be in control. 


the line up-'03 Mini, Jag XKR, '78 MGB, '68 Mini, Espace, (not pictured, VW Golf)
(photo by Joyce Gleason)


I've been surprisingly not homesick very much, only thinking about home a lot over Christmas break when I would have been with my family 24/7. Hopefully that means I'll adjust well to the idea of living abroad for the rest of my life...


p.s. other things I miss that didn't make the list: good cereal, granola bars, flip flops, baking without converting anything, netflix, church in english...

Comments

  1. Well done; I'll help you catch up on everything. You can drive home from the airport and stop for a mocha on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds good! we made some really nice mochas today, but i'm still looking forward to getting one just before hitting the road.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment