And We're Engaged!

    As many of you know already, my boyfriend Paul and I got engaged last weekend. I thought I'd tell the story in a little more comprehensive form with some pictures for those who aren't on facebook, or just want to see it again...

     I thought dinner Friday night was just going to be a casual dinner for the two of us. Paul's parents and sister were going over to his brother's house for dinner, leaving us to make our own. After they left, we went to start our meal, when he suggested going downstairs to the re-finished basement apartment to make it. I didn't object, and went down first. I saw when I opened the door, a line of candles on the counter by the entrance. The first thing I said was, "oh, I think your grandma left some candels burning." Then I saw that the whole place was filled with candles and flowers. I hear a "surprise, I thought we'd have a romantic dinner for two tonight," behind me. 

    So we made our meal, layered ham and cheese sandwiches, and a salmon vinagerette salad with homemade croutons. So tasty.Then, he had prepared a projector to watch something outside on the wall. So we had some tea and bundled up in blankets and watched an episode of "I Love Lucy" outside. What's funny is, I picked one where Lucy needs a dance instructor to learn this french dance to be in Ricky's show. Well, in comes this over-the-top french guy trying to woo her away because he thinks all american women want that. "Vive la romance!" Hilarious.


    So after that we start getting cold and head inside to decide what to do. Maybe a movie, or dessert. He looks in the cupboard for options and tells me he's found something that I'll really like. "Close your eyes," he says. I do, thinking it's chocolate or something. Only to open them after it's taking too long and see a diamond in front of me. "Will you marry me," he says, as soon as I open my eyes. "Yes!," is my immediate answer. Followed by lots of hugging and kissing and jumping. We did a sort of jump dance around the kitchen. Then he pulled out some old champagne he had in the fridge and the celebrating began. 

    Now, I have to say, yes, I was expecting it. Since we talked about it and both of us knew we were ready. So I thought, maybe over dinner. No. Or cuddled up outside. No. He pulls the unexpected out-of-the-cupboard route so I get at least a little surprise. It was also fun spending the rest of the night and the next day trying to get a hold of everyone long distance. 


    The best response might be from Paul's mom. He called his dad to say he's done it and that they could come home. So his dad hangs up and tells everyone, "They're engaged." Then his mom says, "Engaged for what? oh! oh!" Apparently she'd been off in the clouds all night anyway. : ) 


    So now the planning commences. We will be living in France afterwards, and I'll be looking to improve my french. A new job as well. So the adventure begins...


Comments

  1. I love hearing the story ! I can just see you two dancing around the kitchen. We will have to have some more dance lessons while you are here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. to be honest, while reading the story something got in my eye or something... :o) so excited and happy for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly and I made dinner last night and talked about how excited we are for you guys, YES!! :)And I love the part about Paul's mom, she's adorable haha.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment