Reading List

    As an unemployed book lover, it should come as no surprise that I spend an inordinate amount of time, (between all the wedding planning), devoted to reading. Those who are close to me have noticed I am often in the middle of two books at once, going back and forth as the mood strikes, or picking whichever is small enough to fit in my purse. Right now is no exception. A friend of mine passed on "My Life In France," by Julia Child, and I stumbled upon, "Paris to the Moon," by Adam Gopnik. They're written in completely different time periods by completely different individuals; the first about the wife of a US government employee stationed in France in 1948, while the other a New York Times writer who moved to Paris with his wife and baby in 1995. Their writing styles and experiences are understandably different, but it's interesting to note how their observations of French life and the enjoyment they find there parallel each other. 


        MyLifeinFranceCover.jpg          

    As someone who is in the midst of planning a life-changing move to France, it is only natural to search out records of those who have done it before, if only temporarily. What was most difficult? What was surprising? How did they figure things out? Did they ever feel at home? While every experience is different, and I know mine will not be exactly the same as any others', there are still interesting ideas that can encourage and inspire anyone. 
     I could go into detail about what I liked about both, Gupnik's spot-on observations, or Child's delightful stories, but I'll let you read them and find them for yourself. What I find more interesting right now is that after reading countless blogs and expat books, there are still more. And looking through bookstores and libraries, it seems to me that France has more first person 'life in Paris' books than any other country. And they're successful. People can't get enough. 
    I've read recently about how historically, France used to have magic and excitement where everything was beginning and happening, a strange mystery and allure that called to everyone, boy and girl, young and old. I say, it hasn't ended. Yes, times are changing and modernizing, but every time I tell someone I'm moving to France, they get this sort of jealous excitement. They are happy for me and wish me the best, but really wish it were themselves who could leave it all and move next door to the Champs-Ellysees. (Not that I'll be living there, exactly). Would this be the same if I had said London, or Berlin, or Rome? I think not. 
    In any case, I could go on, but for now I'll leave you with these two titles and a couple more books for when you feel the call of La Vie en Rose.


My Life in France, Julia Child, 2006
Paris To the Moon, Adam Gopnik, 2000
Almost French, Sarah Turnbull, 2002
C'est La Vie, Suzy Gershman, 2004





Comments

Post a Comment