Civic Formation

  As part of the tedious process of moving to France and making it my new home, is a requirement that I attend a class called "Civic Formation". As part of getting my "titre de sejour" that lets me stay here, I had to show french competency, that I have a job, and good health. Some people can't meet those standards and go to other classes or improve their health. All of us wanting to live in France must take the Civics class. I was one of 26 people, probably the youngest, and the only one from a western state.
  Starting at 9am on a Saturday, we met in a small room in a deserted building for 7 hours to see a power point and listen to all the important facts about our new home. The history, the founding principles, the legislative system, and the social system were all big topics. Unfortunately, I had read all the same information in "60 Million Frenchman Can't Be Wrong" just weeks before, so I didn't need to pay attention much. The most interesting part was towards the end when our instructor talked about requirements for nationality. In my case, since I'm married to a French citizen, I have to be married 4 years, show french language competency, community life (I'm not sure what this means), and morality (I guess not get arrested? although being a pastor's wife probably helps with that). 
   After the presentation and we filled out a satisfaction questionnaire, I received a certificate that I had received my education. Now I just have to take all these documents to the prefecture every year to renew my titre de sejour until in four years I can apply to be a citizen. Don't worry, France lets you keep your American citizenship too. :)

Comments

  1. I think those applying for citizenship in the USA should have to show English language competency. Community life?--how about grocery shopping, attending church, eating out . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah i'm thinking if i show my church memborship and grocery store club cards, it might prove my community involvment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment